Adam Johnson’s family ‘knew he was in trouble’ after throat cut | UK News

The family of ice hockey player Adam Johnson have described watching the horrifying moment his throat was fatally cut during a match.
His aunt Kari Johnson, along with his father and grandfather were watching the Nottingham Panthers’ game via livestream, and, according to Ms Johnson, they knew ‘he was in trouble’ as soon as it happened.
Speaking from Minnesota in the US, where Mr Johnson is from, she told Sky News: ‘It was terrible, it was horrific, we didn’t know what to do’, adding there was ‘nothing we could do’.
The 29-year-old had been playing at Sheffield Arena against Sheffield Steelers on October 28 when he was struck in the throat by an opponent’s skate.
He died later that day in hospital.
Last night a vigil was held at Motorpoint Arena in Nottingham, where the Panthers are based.
Supporters, many in tears, walked past a photo of Mr Johnson displayed on the ice to pay their respects and signed books of condolences.
Ms Johnson said seeing how much everyone thought of ‘our boy’ means a lot to the family.
‘He liked it there [Nottingham], he thought the fans were great, he was meeting some of them and really enjoying it.’
After the accident happened a teammate managed to get hold of Mr Johnson’s phone to call the family and promised to keep them updated.
When they learned he had died, the family ‘all just broke down’.
‘It was a mess, it was a nightmare, it was like it wasn’t real. We were in shock, we couldn’t believe this was happening.’
She described her nephew as a kind soul who was having the time of his life in the UK.
His funeral will be held in his hometown of Hibbing in Minnesota today.
Several fans paying tribute at Motorpoint Arena had been watching the match when Mr Johnson when the freak accident happened.
Adrian Ingham, who was streaming the game live, said he had found it difficult to sleep for days after the incident ‘because you closed your eyes and saw the image of everything that was going on’.
Mr Ingham added: ‘I’ve been coming to ice hockey for 40 years and it’s the most horrific thing I’ve ever seen.’
He said that introducing neck guards for players would be the ‘obvious thing’ to do to reduce injuries, but also that it was important not to ‘negate the competitiveness’ of ice hockey.
Hundreds of floral tributes to Mr Johnson have also been left outside the Motorpoint Arena in Bolero Square.
Nottingham Panthers said the team’s players and staff would spend Saturday afternoon privately reflecting on memories of their teammate.
The club also announced the creation of an official fundraising page to raise money for the Love for Hibbing and Hockey Memorial Fund – established in Mr Johnson’s memory.
On Friday, Sheffield’s senior coroner Tanyka Rawden opened and adjourned an inquest into Mr Johnson’s death at Sheffield’s Medico-Legal Centre.
Ms Rawden concluded the four-minute-long hearing by saying she wanted to ‘take this opportunity to offer to his family, his friends and all those who knew him, my sincere condolences at this difficult time’.
The Elite Ice Hockey League has said it will not make the use of neck guards mandatory, but ‘strongly encourages’ players and officials to wear them.
The English Ice Hockey Association has since said neck guards will become mandatory from 2024, but the Elite League is not under the governing body’s control.
South Yorkshire Police has confirmed it is investigating the incident, but officers have said the inquiry ‘will take some time’.
Officers have carried out inquiries at the arena, studied footage of the collision and spoken to experts, aided by Sheffield City Council’s health and safety team.
Get in touch with our news team by emailing us at webnews@metro.co.uk.
For more stories like this, check our news page.
Get your need-to-know
latest news, feel-good stories, analysis and more
This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.